Thursday, March 03, 2005

No Comfort but God (William Willimon)


The sermons of John, the first proponent of baptism, could
never have been titled (as was a recent radio series I heard),
"Be Good to Yourself." This prophetic voice from the
wilderness appeared preaching repentance for the

forgiveness of sins. Not surprisingly, his words strike
abrasively against the easy certainties of today's religious
Establishment. John will let us take no comfort in our rites,
traditions, or ancestry. According to him, everyone must
submit to be made over. Everybody must descend into the
waters, even - especially - the religiously secure and the
morally sophisticated. He reminds us that God is able to raise
up children even from stones if the Chosen fail to turn and
repent.



Peace Forever,
Firacub.

2 Comments:

At 6/3/05 3:43 AM, Blogger Jim said...

John the Baptist was not a christian but a Jew, so was Jesus Christ

But Jesus is anti-religion, i tink.
He demolished the jewish religion

John the Baptist was beheaded coz he publicly accused a king of sinning

The way of Jesus is totally different
says Jesus, 'let the one who has no sin ... cast the first stone'

and the austraylayan shud not sit on judgement on Diffy and Saby

 
At 9/3/05 5:19 PM, Blogger Dorko said...

Hey...?! (Saby RU silly?)

#1:
You lost me at the anti-religion thing, last I knew the Jewish religion was still going strong. Otherwise those Palestin-neons wouldn't have their knickers in such a twist over the homesteaders out on the strip! (right?)

#2:
Wasn't Christ REBUKING the fellers with the rocks in their little hands when he said the thing about who could cast the 1st stone?

#3:
I'll agree with you that people shouldn't judge. That's God's job, not ours.

I git to have an opinion though... & I'm beginning to think U silly...

...Whom the Lord loveth he correcteth...

&

...rebuke a wise man, and he will love thee...

Repentance is a true blessing - I'm doing all I can to learn how to work it into my everyday!
... So if I've offended anyone, I'd like to take this time to publicly apologize... ;-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home